Search This Blog

Followers

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Christian Eroticism

Christian eroticism. Does it exist? Read the Song of Solomon. Christian marriages (all marriage in general) suffer--and much of that suffering is in the bed (or out of it?). Now I’m a single white male, but from what I hear, one place marriages suffer is the bed. Christians need to recover and discover a healthly view of “Christian eroticism" (my friend Chaplain Matt Temple coined this apparent oxymoron).

Consider this: "Sustain me with raisins; refresh me with apples for I am sick with love" (Song 2:5). When was the last time you (married person) were sick with love? Is the job a distraction? Is the degree troubling you?

Do you spend more time reading than making love? Maybe you've spent more time wipping your kid than feeling your spouse's pulse at night---alone? Do you spend more time talking baby talk than saying things to your spouse like, "How much better is your love than wine" (Song 4:10).

The last time I drank wine, I felt it. Do you want to feel love like you feel wine? If you don't, honestly, what's the point? If your marriage is boring, a hassle, drudgery? If so..., thanks for the example. Give me this: "Love is strong as death, jealousy is fierce as the grave" (Song 8:6a). Give me love stronger than death, otherwise, I'll wait for Jesus' final return.

No comments: